Where has the time went? I have to start by apologizing for not keeping up better on writing letters to you. You are one busy little man and I find it difficult to find any spare time during the day to sit down on the computer. I can assure you though we've had an amazing past few months with you. I'm looking forward to filling you in on this post and hopefully I will do a better job blogging for now on.
- August 19th, 2013 was a very special day for your mommy and daddy. We were able to celebrate your first birthday. What a blessing to celebrate the day of your birth! I found myself reminscing about that day in the hospital and all the emotions we experienced as you arrived. Your delivery was so scary and I still find myself thanking God for keeping you safe that day. This last year has been thee best year of your daddy and I's lives! You have brought so much joy, excitement, and love to our family.
We had a barbecue/picnic at Hoyt Park to celebrate your special day. Here are some pics.
We celebrated your birthday for about 3 days straight. On day 2 we went for a boat trip and on day 3 we went to the zoo. So much fun!
-You have been a talking machine! I can't even keep track anymore of how many words you know. It seems as if every day you are adding a new word to your vocabulary. Some of your favorites are: all done, up please, more, help, fruit, good dog, momma, dada, no, yah, hi, bye bye, book, nose, eyes, go pack go, touchdown, nigh nigh.
- Walking is a thing of the past. You have moved on to a cute lil toddler run. You like to especially pick up the speed when you're excited about something or playing "I'm gonna get you" around the house.
- You can point to your nose, eyes, ears, hair, cheeks, teeth, and belly button now when asked to.
- You are very good at using your spoon and fork now. You insist on having it before even thinking about starting to eat. There are still times where you will get impatient and dive in with your fingers to speed things up a bit. :)
-You had your first trip to the dentist at 13 months. You were a champ! Daddy couldn't believe how well behaved you were and how you sat patiently while the dentist was checking your teeth. The dentist was very impressed and we've now started flossing with you every day. You love to have your teeth flossed. You lay on your changing table and actually say "ahhhhh".
Things You Like Right Now:
- You enjoy playing with any kind of shape sorter. You have about three that you rotate between. You have no problem sorting the shapes over and over...and....over and over.
- Grocery shopping. You love to "help" mommy and daddy put things into the cart. When we get up to the cash register, we hand each item to you and you put it on the conveyor belt for us. It's your favorite job!
- Just recently you've decided that you LOVE books! You will say "book" and bring it over to mommy and daddy. We read book after book after book after book with you. Sometimes you make it through the whole book, other times it's just a few pages before you realize you want a different book. Your favorite book right now is your Green Bay Packer board book.
- Speaking of the Packers, you are really interested in football. You love watching a few minutes of each game. When there is a touch down you raise both arms and yell "touch down". You also love to pound your fist in the air and say "go pack go". Your favorite kind of ball right now is a football. You hand it to daddy, wait for daddy to say "go long" and then you run as far away as you can and turn around and wait for him to throw you the ball. We're definitely still working on catching.
-Facetiming! You literally get giddy when we call your auntie in the evening. Your legs start kicking while you hear the phone ringing waiting for her to answer. It's so precious.
-Aloo gobi from the Indian restaurant is your favorite meal right now. It's potato and cauliflowers mixed into a seasoned sauce. You inhale it! If you've had a rough day, we call in a special order for you because it always hits the spot for you.
- Going to bed at night. I hope this continues for a very long time. It's literally the easiest part of our bedtime routine...laying you down in your crib. You're so sweet, you say "nigh nigh" and just lay down and go to bed. No whining, no crying...it's magical.
- You love to help around the house. I'm amazed at how much you understand now. You put your shoes away (in the right spot) in your room when told to. When you're undressing for a bath, you take off your clothes and put them into the hamper in your room...all on your own, without even being told. If you find some garbage on the floor, you pick it up and put it into the trash, without being told. You seem to take after your mommy and like things tidy and in order...we'll see how long that lasts. :)
Things You Dislike Right Now:
- You have a mind of your own now and it is evident. When you don't get you want, you are definitely testing the waters. We've started to experience some meltdowns. You've also been experimenting with hitting and biting...gulp. The good news is ... it has been getting better, so hopefully the way mommy and daddy are handling it is working! You are good at saying sorry and checking to see if the person (or animal...poor Buckwheat) is okay. Hopefully this is just a phase that you will grow out of quickly. I think you are doing it out of frustration because you can't quite communicate yet how you're feeling.
- Coming inside! If you could be outdoors all day long, you would. Every day its the same story... you get very upset when it's time to come inside for dinner. And oh, if it's raining and we don't get to play outside before dinner, you are not happy.
- Taking afternoon naps at home in your crib. You sure do great at this at daycare, but not so much at home. And this is probably because we end up giving in most times and you fall asleep on our chest in the living room.
Hiking with Daddy in Door County
-Daddy just had two weeks off with you in October and the two of you had a blast! You took daily trips to the park and even found an indoor play area for toddlers when we had some crummy weather.
- You and Daddy started a fall session of swim classes again a few weeks ago. This is really you and daddy's "thing". I watch from the peanut gallery and just love seeing the two of you together enjoying the water.
- You continue to practice riding your Strider with Daddy and wow, you are really getting good! You're moving along on it much quicker now and you are getting good at steering!
- I have been SO tired with this pregnancy. When I was pregnant with you, the tiredness really only lasted the first trimester. This pregnancy, not the case. I am absolutely BEAT by the time 6:00 p.m. hits. I literally go to bed the same time you do, which is around 6:30/7:00 p.m.
- You've wanted lots of extra love from mommy lately. When Daddy goes in to your room to get you up in the morning you say my name over and over. Sometimes you even say "no" to daddy and lay back down to fake you're asleep. I'm thoroughly enjoying these moments with you and find myself loving the extra snuggles that you're willing to give.
- When Daddy had off of work he brought you to my classroom a few times to visit. What a treat to get to share you with all my students.
Snuck in a visit during parent teacher conferences
Such a surprise!
You are growing up so fast. I'm so glad Daddy and I have taken a lot of pictures and photos of you, because the last 14 months has flown by. You are such a witty, energetic, and sweet lil boy Ari. You no longer are a baby...you're a toddler now. We love you so much! Thanks for the best year ever!