I was looking back at my last letter to you and it's funny how I ended it. I was telling you how excited we were to watch you become a big brother. Little did I know, I would go into labor that very night and you became a big brother the next day. And wow, what a great big brother you are!
-You became a big brother on January 28th. Beforehand we were really worried about how you would adjust and I am happy to say...the transition has went wonderfully for you. You have been very sweet to Elle since the day she was born. You like to give her kisses on her head and cover her up with a blanket. You like to help mommy with diaper changes by sitting next to your sister and handing me wipes. I find it funny that you point to her bouncer or the ottoman when you want me to put her down, so we can play together. When you wake up in the morning, you ask for each member of your family. I think it's so sweet that you want to check in with her right when you wake up.
-We had a very special Valentine's Day..the first holiday as a family of four. We celebrated with take out dinner from our favorite Chinese restaurant.
- Don and Mary's wedding was a pretty fun event for you. You ran around and played with Ty for hours. The two of you had so much fun chasing one another. You also gave out lots of hugs to the sweet little girls in attendance.
- You finished your stay in the Starfish Room at Milestones. You started staying home with mommy. When you return to daycare in the fall you will no longer be a Starfish. You will be in the 2 year old room.
You with your friends at daycare
- We went to the parade downtown for St. Patrick's Day. Your favorite part was seeing all the trucks.
St. Patrick's Day parade
Swim class with Instructor Jim
Things You Like Right Now:
- Trucks & buses! The three o'clock hour at our house is especially excited for you as we usually see about 10 buses pass. You hear them and run to the window yelling BUS! Trucks are also very exciting to you and you are sure to point them out when we go for car rides.
-Yogurt. You request a yogurt after every meal...every single meal.
- Helping. You like to help Mommy & Daddy take care of Elle and help around the house. Favorites include helping with diaper changes, bottle feedings. vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, and laundry. If you hear Mommy say the word laundry, you run into your room and grab your laundry basket. The other day I just said to Daddy that I was going downstairs. The word downstairs was a trigger for you and you assumed the only reason I could be going downstairs would be to do laundry. Sure enough, you went to retrieve your laundry basket for me.
Helping with a diaper change
Helping Nonee make muffins
- You enjoy the outdoors. Even though it has been especially cold you ask to go outside all the time. You love watching daddy shovel and mommy rake. Of course you help us the best you can. You also love going on walks and pointing at all the things you know.
-FaceTiming with Auntie. When I have my phone out, you say "Annie, Annie" and insist I call her. Once you see her, you then are always sure to ask about her dog Miracle too. You call Miracle "MeMe". You think its so funny to watch Miracle.
- You point to things and say who they belong to. This includes things around the house and food. You crack me up when you point to the garbage bag waiting by the door and say "Daddy" because you know he takes it out. When I'm making us lunch you point to your plate and say "Ari" and my plate and say "Mommy".
- Reading. We seem to read every book in your library throughout the day. You amaze me with your books. Every time we read a story, you remember how to say more and more of the words and identify the animals/objects that you see. You also like to act out some of the words or show us where the object is in our house. For example, when we read J is for Jump, you of course need to show us how to jump. When you see the sand dollar, you insist on going to get your sand dollar from vacation from the kitchen. When you come to the gold frame, you point to the gold frame hanging in our living room. Seeing you make these associations has been so much fun!
Reading all by yourself
Reading with Auntie before bed
-Basketball and soccer are your favorite sports right now. You learned to dribble a basketball, which is so cute. You bend down and pat the ball while it sits on the ground before you shoot. You are improving your soccer skills, using just your feet more and more. You love yelling "Goooooaaaaaallllll" with your hands up in the air and running around the room. Too bad this includes even the times you don't actually make a goal..ha.
- You like to sing songs. You like ring around the rosie. You will come up to me, grab my hands and say "ring" while moving your hands back and forth when you want to sing. Other favorites include: The Wheels on the Bus and The Alphabet Song. Your favorite alphabet song version is India Arie with Elmo. You say "Elmo" after if finishes and then "more, more".
- Legos, legos, and more legos! Five minutes after we clean up your legos, you bring over your bin saying "open, open".
Things You Don't Like Right Now:
-Waiting in the car. If Daddy gets out to run into a store or get gas, you say "Mommy...", wait for my response, and then say "Out". Once you realize you're not getting out, you cry.
- When you are tired, you seem to act out when you're not getting all the attention all the time. If Mommy is busy nursing, you do the things you know you're not supposed to...on purpose. This includes: jumping on the couch, turning the tv on and off, playing with daddy's receiver, taking an iPad or phone, standing on toys, etc. You even have a sly look on your face when you do these things, testing me to see what you can get away with.
- You need your snuggle time when you wake up from a nap. If you don't have about 10-15 minutes of one on one snuggles, you can melt down easily.
- Messes...if something falls on the ground you say "Oh no! Oh no!" until we either clean it up or convince you that we will clean it up later. This is getting better, but you're pretty particular. Yesterday, there was a dog hair on the couch and you yelled "Oh no!" Also, when we go for walks, you get upset when you see some garbage on the ground.
- Being patient when waiting to leave the house. You get into a lot of mischief while Mommy and Daddy are getting ourselves and Elle ready.
18 month shots
- You love playing basketball and soccer with your dad in the living room. You actually like watching basketball too. Daddy took you to the NCAA open practice this past week at the Bradley Center. You were very observant and interested in what the players were doing. It's like you were sitting there in absolute awe.
- You have an "after dinner routine" with Daddy. As soon as you're done eating, Daddy takes off your clothes and dipaer and you run into the bathroom to sit and use your potty chair. You pee and run back into the kitchen so proud yelling "PEE! PEE!" You get a high five from mommy, Elle, and Buckwheat and then run back into the bathroom. After peeing, you take a shower with Daddy and Daddy gets you ready for bed.
Hiking with Daddy
Last swim class
DJ-ing with DaddyYour Mom:
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time home with you Ari. I love doing our activities together and having you by my side all day. When I'm away from you for even an hour...I miss you. One of my favorite times of the day is sitting in the kitchen having lunch with you. We listen to music and chat. I'm embracing every moment of our time together... I find myself taking a lot of pictures and videos because I don't want to forget one single memory of you.
Grocery shopping with Mommy
Right now your sister does a lot of sleeping, which you don't seem to mind because we have more time to play with you. She loves the sweet kisses from you and hanging out on the couch. The occasional bonk on the head from one of your flying toys is making her one tough little lady. The two of you already have a very special bond. Sibling love is special.
A boy and his dog...18 months old